Saturday, July 23, 2011

Bob Laidlaw...

Bob Laidlaw
   Click to see pictures of this Entry

       The first 2 years I have been at Hofmeister I was a sales associate and customer service representative.  I worked closely with the current designer.  Patiently awaiting for my opportunity that would change my life!  Finally, that opportunity surfaced.  There was no hesitation.  Carter asked if I thought I could do it and that he saw so much potential in me.  I was nervous but ready for the challenge.  The next thing I knew Bob Laidlaw started right in with teaching me how to render beautiful custom pieces in a way I never thought I could.  I didn't realize the potential of talent that I had.  And I think I really surprised a lot of people as well. 


Critiquing me to the smallest detail
     Bob Laidlaw is one of the greatest designers in the Nation.  He worked at Hofmeister since the years of the Glendale store until about 2002. He traveled all over the states selling his designs and won first place in many designer shows.  It is such a privilege to be studying under him.  I will say he is tough.  He doesn't let me get away with anything less than perfection.  Knit picking to the smallest detail.  How would I get better if he didn't do that?    His biggest thing for me now is expanding my mind of design and making me faster at drawing.  I am a perfectionist so when I draw it does take me a little bit longer than he would like.  But i'm getting faster everyday.   There is a rhymn and reason to render drawing.  It has to be very exact with measurements of the stones and finger size and just actual size of the piece.  If it is exact then the shop will be able to create EXACTLY what you drew.  There will be no guessing or being unsure with a customer because you know it will be exactly what you draw.  If they love the drawing they will be even more in love when the piece comes alive!  With him critiquing my drawing skills he is also always critiquing my salesmanship skills and presentations.  Not only do I have to draw for a customer, I have to make it entertaining and exciting to be creating a one of a kind piece of jewelry for them.  Otherwise whats the fun in it!!  After working with him for many months I was finally promoted to the Custom Designer of Homfeister Personal Jewelers.  It is exactly what I dreamed of doing and I'm so excited to be apart of the special moments in people's lives that they will remember forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment